Saturday, September 17, 2011

DIY : felted lamp





















I always have a hard time shopping for a nice lamp.  And if I do like one, it's always so expensive.  So I made one myself.  I used really nice natural wool mixed with silk.  I also added some curls and a bit of green fine wool.  It took me a good part of the day to felt it because the fabric needed to be see through without creating holes.  So I had to felt it really gently.
























Once I finished my fabric, I still had to make a lamp shade out of it.  Nowadays it's easy to find the material for it in specialized stores.  For this lamp I needed two large iron circles and some kind of self adhesive lamp foil.  Then it still took me about a day of putting all of this nicely together and finally ... there was light!!

5 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful!!
    Wet felting is hard work, but your result is fabulous.
    How did you manage it to make the felt so thin that the light still can shine true it?

    X Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reply :) it sounds so easy how you explain it, but I know from the one time I tried to make felt slippers that felting is not for me. I especially miss the patience part ...

    x Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really absolutely great! How is the light from this lamp?
    Hope to see you soon!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete